Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for Visa & Pass



Q: How can I apply student’s visa from my country after getting the offer from TATIUC?
A: Before coming to Malaysia, you have to apply Visa Approval Letter (VAL) through Internationalization Unit, TATIUC. Once the application is approved by the Immigration Department of Malaysia, the VAL will be COURIERED and E-MAILED by the Internationalization Unit. The process takes maximum 2 months after the receiving the complete documents from you. The Malaysian Embassy in your country of residence will issue you a Single Entry Visa before your departure to Malaysia. Upon arrival at TATIUC, your student pass will be processed by Internationalization Unit.

Q: What is VDR?
A: Visa with Reference (VDR) means a visa issued by the Malaysian Representative Office abroad to a non-citizen to enable individuals to enter Malaysia after the visa is approved by the Immigration Department Headquarters. It is advisable that you obtain your Visa Approval Letter (VAL) before entering to study in Malaysia in order to avoid any issues or problems coming to study in Malaysia.

Q: How long is the validity of Visa Approval Letter (VAL)?
A: The Visa Approval Letter (VAL) is valid within 3 months after the issuance date. Once you have got the VAL, you must apply Single Entry Visa (VDR) at the nearest Malaysian Embassy/ High Commission. The embassy will issue a Single Entry Visa to you to enter Malaysia for study purpose. Once you arrive at the airport, you will be given a Special Pass (30 days). Within these 30 days, you must surrender your passport at Internationalization Unit, TATIUC and do the medical screening test at the EMGS panel clinics nearby TATIUC.

Q: What are Single Entry Visa and Journey Performed Visa?
A: International students who require visa before entering Malaysia have to obtain a Single Entry Visa (VDR) from the Malaysian Embassy/ Consulate/ High Commission in their home country or the nearest representative of the Malaysian Government before coming to Malaysia. Failure to do so, the individual will be issued a Journey Performed Visa upon approval of their Student Pass application and a sum between RM20 to RM50 will be charged for processing the visa.

Q: Can I use Social Pass to study?
A: It is ILLEGAL to study in Malaysia under a Social or Tourist Pass. The University strongly discourages the use of Social Visa to enter Malaysia before receiving your Visa Approval Letter (VAL) Please be reminded that as the University cannot guarantee your application for student visa/ pass will be approved, it may place your studies at high risk.

Q: What is Student Pass?
A: Student Pass is the visa/pass which is required for all international students when they undergo full-time study in Malaysia. It is recognised by the endorsement sticker affixed in his/ her passport while the student is studying in an educational institution in Malaysia.


Q: How long is the Student Pass valid?
A: Effectively by 1st April 2016, the issuance of the Student Pass is subject to the passport validity. In a situation where the student’s passport validity is less than the course duration, the Student Pass will be issued based on the passport validity. Students applying for renewal of their Student Passes will be issued with a Student Pass covering the remaining period of study.

Q: What is Multiple Entry Visa (MEV)
A: International students, who have student passes, will be given a Multiple Entry Visa (MEV). With this visa, students are allowed to go in and out of Malaysia for the duration of their valid Student Passes. The charge depends on the student’s citizenship/ country respectively and does not exceed RM100.00.

Q: What is Special Pass?
A: Special Pass is a temporary pass issued for 30 days or less at the point of entry (Immigration Checkpoint) upon the arrival in Malaysia or State Immigration Office (during student pass application period in case of delays). Please bear in mind, you must show the Visa Approval Letter (VAL) and original offer letter at the Immigration Checkpoint, after you arrive in Malaysia.

Q: When should I submit my passport for renewal?
A: At least TWO (2) months before the expiry date of your current pass.

Q: Can I use the Student Pass to travel to other countries and come back to Malaysia?
A: Students from countries which require a visa to enter Malaysia will also be give a Multiple Entry Visa or Single Entry Visa in their passport to enable them to travel out and return to Malaysia. Students who wish to travel out of Malaysia must ensure that they have a valid visa for re-entering to Malaysia.

Q: What should I do if I plan to defer my studies during the continue semester?
A: If you wish to defer your studies, you will have to return to your home country. You have to report/ inform the Internationalization Unit of your re-entry after the deferment period for advice on your next Student Pass renewal. Failure to comply with this procedure will result in the University having to notify the Immigration Department and the Ministry of Higher Education to cancel your Student Pass.

Q: Do you provide airport pick-up service?
A: Yes, we do provide a free airport pick-up service to new international students for their first time arrival in Malaysia. New students who wish to use this free airport pick-up service are required to notify Internationalization Unit via e-mail: regarding their flight arrival details.

Q: Can I bring my dependants with me?
A: Candidates could bring their families to Malaysia. However, the application for dependant pass can only be submitted after the Student Pass has been approved by the Immigration Department. Students are advised not to bring their spouse and children to Malaysia until the Student Pass is approved. If you do so, the University will not be responsible for their stay here.


Q: What should I do if I lost my passport?
A: Once you realised that you have lost your passport, immediately do the followings:

  • Make a police report at the nearest police station;
  • Apply for a new passport at your embassy;
  • Come to Internationalization Unit with a copy of police report. The International Officer will assist you to get your Student Pass sticker to the new passport.